I truly believe the sign of a strong influential leader is the ability and willingness to lift up those around them. The strongest people I know are constantly looking for ways to teach, inspire, and advocate for others.
Here are five ways that you can grow yourself by growing others:
- Offer to Mentor: Check to see if your company has a formal mentoring program that you can take advantage of.If your company doesn’t have one, check out potentially spearheading one (Check out this article from Inc. for more details How to Start a Mentoring Program). If not, reach out to someone that you see has a lot of potential. Ask them if they would like to form a mentoring relationship. Ideally, you would have someone approach you for this but often times employees can be intimated by more experienced members of the organization. Undoubtedly they will feel honored and relieved that you approached them!
- Offer to be a Guest Speaker: There are a ton of ways that you can share your expertise and experience via speaking. Check around for employee business resource groups, they are always looking for speakers to engage their members. Ask another line of business if they would like to learn more about you and your particular line of business. Look for opportunities with the local Girl Scout groups or other youth organization. Not only will this allow you to help lift up others, but it will help you expand your professional network.
- Coach 24/7: Some of the best advice I ever received came from people that were not my boss at the time. Always be on the lookout for coaching opportunities with those around you. Of course, it is critical that you do this in the most delicate and respectful way or you run the risk of developing a reputation for being overly-critical and insensitive. People must know you are coming from the heart and have their best interest in mind.
- Recognize Others: Human beings have a deep need to feel valued and loved. Recognition is a great way to make others feel this way. Find ways to recognize those that deserve it. Often times it as simple as a shout-out at a meeting or a handwritten thank you card. Just think of how you feel after you receive encouragement- like you can conquer the world. How awesome is it that we have the opportunity to make others feel like that every day.
- Formal Learning: There are so many ways to formalize your teaching. You can develop an e-book, online course, podcasts, blogs, the opportunities are endless! These methods allow you to gain a much greater reach to help others. Find a topic that you are passionate about and share it with the world!
Now get out there and change the world! I would love to hear how you have been able to lift up others or ways that others have lifted you up. Please share in the comments below.
Become a Darling CEO Today!
Join today to get exclusive content and weekly tips delivered straight to your mailbox!