25 Questions to Ask Your Mentor
You have a mentor, now what? Finding a mentor is only half the battle. Now you must ensure that you take full advantage of the mentoring gift that you have been given. Every time that you meet with your mentor, you should have a list of well thought out questions to ask.
Not sure where to start? Here is a list of 25 questions that every mentee should ask their mentor.
- Can you tell me about yourself and your career journey?
- What has been your most favorite job that you have held? What about the least favorite job?
- Can you tell me about the work that you do? What is most challenging? What is most rewarding?
- What does a typical week look like for you? How do you spend your time?
- Anyone else that you suggest I connect with?
- What do you wish you knew at this point in my career?
- What were your biggest mistakes? What were your biggest successes?
- What are the biggest challenges in your business?
- How do you foresee the business changing over the next five years?
- What are your career goals? Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
- What should I be doing differently?
- Who has influenced you the most?
- What is the most effective daily habit you possess?
- What is the greatest advice you have ever been given?
- How do you stay on top of industry trends?
- What do you hope to teach me during our time together?
- How can I assist you?
- What is the most important leadership lesson that you’ve learned?
- Describe the best employee you have ever had. What skills did they have?
- Where do you see my strengths? How can I leverage them more?
- What are some of my areas of opportunity? What should I do to improve?
- How do you think others perceive me?
- How do you approach problem-solving?
- How could I have handled <insert project/situation/decision> differently?
- What do you feel are the most important skills to master in this field?
What questions have you asked your mentor? What other tips do you have as it relates to getting the most out of a mentorship relationship? We would love to hear!
Other posts you may enjoy: